In 2015, CPC expanded its operations on Kirkimbie station with the purchase of adjoining Bunda, located in the Western Victoria River Downs region of the Northern Territory. CPC had already been familiar with Bunda for many years, having leased it during the 1990’s and 2000’s. The aggregation of the two properties provided the opportunity to increase productivity, reduce overheads and increase labour efficiencies. It also added valuable fattening country to CPC’s Northern portfolio, allowing CPC to further optimise its herdflow.
Bunda has its own stud complex and a high quality Brahman stud herd. Just under 178,800 hectares in size, the property can carry more than 15,000 cattle. Its mix of country includes high quality black soil plains ideal for fattening cattle on a range of annual and perennial grasses, including Mitchell and Flinders varieties. The land is fenced to allow effective rotational grazing and is well-watered by 22 bores in addition to dams and natural water sources from the Sturt Creek, Bunda Creek and Maud Creek systems.
Bunda once formed part of Inverway Station, which was founded in 1894. Inverway was first leased back in 1894 by Archie, Harry and Hugh Farquharson. The three brothers drove cattle from Inverell to stock the property, which remained in the family until Archie died in 1950. After being acquired by Patrick Underwood in 1956, Inverway was split into three properties; Inverway, Riveren and Bunda. John and Terry Underwood settled on Riveren, while Reg and Janelle Underwood settled on Bunda. They proceeded to run the property for over half a century until Consolidated Pastoral Company acquired it in 2015.